During the surgery, the surgeon will make incisions on the breasts, remove excess tissue and skin, and reshape the breasts.The surgeon will also reposition the nipples to a higher location on the breast for a more youthful appearance. In some cases, liposuction may also be used to remove excess fat from the breasts.After the surgery, the breasts will be wrapped in a compression garment to reduce swelling and promote healing. Most patients can go home the same day as the procedure, but some may require an overnight stay in the hospital.
What is the recovery process like?
The recovery process after breast reduction surgery varies from patient to patient, but most women can return to work within a week or two after the procedure. It is essential to avoid strenuous activities and heavy lifting for several weeks after the surgery to allow the breasts to heal properly.Patients may experience some swelling, bruising, and discomfort after the surgery, but these symptoms typically subside within a few weeks. Your surgeon will provide you with detailed instructions on how to care for your incisions and what to expect during the recovery process.
What are the benefits of breast reduction surgery?
Breast reduction surgery offers numerous benefits for women, including:
- Relief from physical discomfort caused by large breasts, such as back pain, shoulder pain, and skin irritation.
- Improved appearance of the breasts, resulting in increased self-confidence and self-esteem.
- More proportionate breast size, allowing for more comfortable clothing options and improved physical activity.
- Improved posture, as the weight of the breasts no longer pulls the body forward.
- Long-lasting results, with most patients experiencing a significant reduction in breast size that lasts for many years.
If you are considering breast reduction surgery, it is essential to schedule a consultation with one of our board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options and determine if the procedure is right for you.